This was the first Christmas since having kids that Seth hasn't had to go to work. Last year we had a super quick opening of presents before Seth rushed off to the airport. And the year before that we waited until he got home in the afternoon, and did presents at supper time. And the year before that, he left while I was home with the stomach flu, so it was a bust all the way around. :)

All three years have had me at home all day with the boys, by ourselves, wishing Seth was home, wishing we were with family. Playing with their new toys, and listening to Christmas music on Pandora and trying not to be too nostalgic in my memories of being at my Grandparents' house. Or thinking of being with my siblings for Christmas.

But THIS YEAR! Seth was home! And he didn't have to leave! AND we had family here! It was my favorite Christmas thus far, to be sure. The boys slept til 9ish (What?!) and we had cheese toast and little smokies for breakfast (a tradition reminiscent of my childhood), and we had aunts and uncles and cousins and grandparents here all day! It made the day much more enjoyable and I felt much less empty and sappy than in years past.

It was so nice not to be rushed, to take things slowly. To hear Asher's "Oh My Goodness!" upon opening his second-hand, well-worn, twenty-five cent umbrella. :) And to let Zimrie spend all day in his Superman costume. And to be able to see all my nieces and baby nephew open up the gifts I had made them. All in all, I spent a lot less time thinking about myself. And it was so very nice.

Seth got me a Kindle that I'm very happy with! And I used Christmas money to buy new bedding which has been on my to-do list for about six years now! And the boys are very excited about their super hero watches. And Ash is very attached to his marbles from his grandparents.

Next year, we will have 8--yes, 8!--cousins in the mix. That's 18 people altogether in the immediate family. I have started to fantasize about having enough space for everyone to actually fit comfortably. :) But even in a crowded house, it's still magical with all the people and presents and tissue paper and good food everywhere.


Comments

  1. Steve's thought was just like yours. How will the house hold them all next year.
    Mine was more like your first thought. The more the merrier. What a great day. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we should push the couch back (like we did with the pinata). And then there'll be more room on the floor for the kids to crowd. And more chairs!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts