I'm on a sixteen day streak of writing at least 750 words every day. I don't have much to show for it, in the sense that I do not possess much writing that will be fit for public consumption, but the daily practice, the discipline of it, has been a good habit to enter into. And one day when I sort back through things, there may be some passages that will eventually lend themselves to a work of writing in the future.

It is a lot easier to write when I do not have an audience in mind, but at the same time, with no audience I can easily end up writing about how my feet hurt and my back aches and how I really want cookies.

But the days that I write my memories, they are pretty true to myself. They will have to be revisited, and revised, but the core is there.

The site I'm using does not allow you to edit your work after the day that you post it. It's a little hard for me, seeing typos and repeated words, but it's also a blessing to just put words on paper. As my art teacher used to say when I was daunted at beginning a large project, "Just get paint on the canvas."  And she was right. Beginning is the hardest part.

Tomorrow Seth is off work and he's taking the day off of school. He and Ash are going to go have some quality time together. Ash has been having some separation anxiety when it comes to preschool, and he's been acting out with us and being pretty harsh with Zimrie at times. I think he needs a little extra attention. Zimrie get some alone time with me when Ash is at preschool. But Ash doesn't ever really have one of us to himself--at least not for very long.

We asked him, against my better judgment, what he would want to do if he could do anything with Daddy? I thought for sure he would say, "Ride the train downtown!" or "Go up in the hot air balloon!" or "Go to Silver Dollar City!" All of which would be unrealistic for our finances right now. And all ideas that I could see him obsess over, and then unable to appreciate anything else.

But we asked him what he would choose to do, and he said, "Daddy! We can go to Target and buy a really big bowl and get some white yogurt to put in it. A lot of yogurt, enough for all of us to share!"

Whoa. Dream big, kid. :)

At least he is going to be easy to please.

It reminded me of the time when I told Seth he could go through my cookbook and pick out any recipe that looked good to him and I would make it. This is what he picked:

Depression Meal Extender

dab of ground beef
pasta
eggs
whatever other leftover that will fit in

During the depression, one had to make do with whatever they had and sometimes that would be just a dab of this and that. We had chickens, so usually had eggs. There were four adults to feed. Two of which were hard-working males with good appetites.
Cook beef, breaking into chunks and drain. Boil pasta and drain. Scramble eggs over meat and pasta; season with whatever you have: tomatoes, a bit of English peas?
--Sarah Bibler

I laughed so hard. THIS in a cookbook filled with all manner of casserole, where every other recipe has a can of cream of mushroom soup (sure to please), and he picks "Depression Meal Extender"? Ha.

I don't think Seth and Asher are going to get white yogurt in a big bowl, but together they've come up with a new plan: to go to the park, go ride go-carts, stop by the store to see if there is a glittery rubber duck for Zimrie (Asher is insistent on this. Isn't that sweet?), and then getting pizza for dinner.

I asked Zim what he would like to do with me and he said, "I just wanna stay home, I have an owie on my leg."

Later he said he wanted to go ride a rocketship by the restaurant at the Landing, which we walked by with my grandparents like a month ago! His crazy memory serves him well. If it made such an impression on him, maybe we'll go do that. Hopefully it will live up to his dreams.

Comments

Popular Posts