Joy To The World

Yesterday we drove the hour and a half home from our family gathering with full bellies and exhausted kids. We explained that we were going to go home for a bit and then head to the Christmas Eve church service. We told the boys that they would be downstairs with us, helping in the nursery.

Asher said, "Watching other people's babies doesn't sound very Christmas-y."
I started in with an explanation about how other grown-ups sometimes watch Jonah so we can go to services, and now it is our turn. But then Seth chimed in with a much more poignant perspective.

"Watching someone else's baby is very Christmas-y. Think about Jesus. Who was his dad?"
"God."
"That's right. But remember who he asked to watch after him? Joseph. Even though Joseph wasn't really his dad, he asked him to treat Jesus like he was his own son. And what did Joseph say?"
"He said yes."

He said yes.

Related image


In the Missional Motherhood Bible Study that our mom's group recently finished, she poses a question in these terms, "What is God giving you strength to do today?"

It has been very helpful for me to view my current life through the words of that question. Because, usually, God is strengthening me to do exactly what it is that I'm doing. He's right there with me. During Advent, I felt like God strengthened me in the waiting. In the anticipation. He gave me the strength to accomplish To-Do Lists and to still myself for times of reflection. He gave me the strength to bite my tongue. Or to say no. Or to ask questions.  And he gave me the strength to clean up my fair share of vomit. Because three kids and winter, you know.

That period of Advent, of longing and anticipation, allowed to me celebrate a reality last night.

Emmanuel. God with us.

That question--of what is God giving me strength to do--if a filter in my fair-weather mind, allows me to experience Emmanuel. God came down, to us. To be with us. To be one of us. To enter into suffering.

Mary and Joseph said yes. What extent of their future suffering did they know? Mary would watch her son die in excruciating pain. Be ostracized. Feel alone. Mary and Joseph would say yes to a thousand pains. And a thousand joys!

Emmanuel. God with us.

What is God giving me strength to do?

Last night it was to turn up "Joy to the World," to sing along with those bright words of hope. To hold hands with the babies and the toddlers, and dance.


Joy to the World , the Lord is come!
Let earth receive her King;
Let every heart prepare Him room,
And Heaven and nature sing,
And Heaven and nature sing,
And Heaven, and Heaven, and nature sing.

Joy to the World, the Savior reigns!
Let men their songs employ;
While fields and floods, rocks, hills and plains
Repeat the sounding joy,
Repeat the sounding joy,
Repeat, repeat, the sounding joy.

No more let sins and sorrows grow,
Nor thorns infest the ground;
He comes to make His blessings flow
Far as the curse is found,
Far as the curse is found,
Far as, far as, the curse is found.

He rules the world with truth and grace,
And makes the nations prove
The glories of His righteousness,
And wonders of His love,
And wonders of His love,
And wonders, wonders, of His love


Comments

Popular Posts