Books of 2018

This past year was the first time I have kept a running list of the books I read. It is a good way for me to mark time and helpful for me to have a documented memory of what I read and when. I counted them up towards the middle of December and was so excited to see that I had read 26 books over the course of the year. I felt pretty good about it until I saw the lists of several online friends who had read upwards of 50, or even 100!

Since I go days without reading sometimes, and often get stuck in dense books, I still felt like I read avidly all throughout the year.

So, here's my list! :)

Books I read that I now count among my favorites:

Image result for lila by marilynne robinson

I actually read this twice in 2018. I don't use the word, "favorite" lightly, but this book deserves every accolade. Robinson is now one of my favorite writers, and this story illuminates themes of shame and its effects, and offers us real seeds of hope. I loved it.

I read Gilead by Robinson in 2017, and Home in 2018. All three are set in the same town with the same basic characters. All three are wonderful, but I think I actually prefer Lila and Home to the Pullitzer-Prize winning Gilead. If you are looking for a thrilling plot line, avoid these books. But if slow, grace-filled, complex character development, you might consider picking them up.

Image result for home by marilynne robinson

Image result for liturgy of the ordinary

If you know me, you've probably heard me talk about this book. I found it so well written and so life-giving as it seeks to understand and illuminate how we live out our days and our lives. These three get the "favorite" status. Now onto the other topics:

Good fiction:

Image result for an american marriage
This novel really stuck with me. While the characters weren't exactly likable, you did empathize with them and their voices and their struggles were so believable and struck a deep chord of human suffering. I kept thinking about this book for weeks after it was done. I also really recommend Jones' first book, Silver Sparrow.

Image result for all the light we cannot see

I'm late to the party, but this was good. I was most impressed with the author's knowledge of so many various subjects.

Image result for little fires everywhere

Wonderful storytelling with realistic, dimensional characters. Ng's other book is great, too. Such a great premise about how our assumptions about other people and ourselves can stand in the way of, or thwart, our relationships.

Image result for everything i never told you


Books I got stuck in, but am really glad I finished:

Image result for little women book

Image result for amazing grace by kathleen

Image result for zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance

Good books on spiritual formation or the Christian life:
Image result for learning to walk in the dark barbara brown taylor


Image result for present over perfect

Image result for the dialogue of st. catherine of siena


Image result for the way of the heart henri nouwen

Other books:

Night by Elie Wiesel
Hebrews by Lisa Harper
All the Pretty Things by Edie Wadsworth
For the Love by Jen Hatmaker
Tell Me More by Kelly Corrigan
The Hypnotist's Love Story by Liane Moriarty
Safe by Nick Stumbo
It's Okay to Laugh (Crying is Cool too) by Nora McInerny
The Fisherman by Larry Hunstperger
Saving Your Marriage Before It Starts by Les and Leslie Parrot
Daring Greatly by Brene Brown
The Gifts of the Child Christ by George MacDonald




Comments

Popular Posts