February's Books

February was no January in the book regard.

But it was still a good month.

A Fall of Marigolds; Paperback; Author - Susan Meissner

Meh. Hallmarky and predictable, it still inspired good discussion for our first book club meeting. It was a good way to ease into fiction. (Also, that is a zinnia sneaking onto the cover. Not a marigold.)

 

So well-done. A look at friendships and marriages with a subplot that explores effects of codependency and tragedy. Subtle and illuminating. This book was mentioned on the What Should I Read Next podcast by Anne Bogel as one of her personal favorites. She puts Stegner in the same literary camp as Berry and Robinson, so I knew he would be going on my TBR list. His Pulitzer-prize winning novel, Angle of Repose, is already waiting for me on my shelves.

The Children Act; Paperback; Author - Ian McEwan

I really enjoyed this one as well--a quick read, but has strong questions of ethics and morality with likeable characters.

Image result for blessed book kate
A history of the prosperity gospel in America--this was dense and academic, but Bowler was easy to read and interesting. I loved seeing the history of the movement and all the factors the converged to create this religious subculture.  I'm looking forward to reading her next book that catalogues her battle with cancer in the midst of the propsperity climate.

Comments

Popular Posts