Today, after seeing this link Bethany posted I decided to tackle explaining the Syrian refugee crisis to the children.

We were just sitting down to lunch, so I started with, "Did you know that some people don't have any lunch today?" And led into homelessness--"Some people don't have houses to sleep in. Some people have to sleep in tents, or out in the open with no protection at all."

I thought it was going pretty well. They both seemed so attentive, so interested.  And then Zimrie chimed in, with pure sincerity, "And SOME PEOPLE even have to sleep in their REFRIGERATORS!"

I couldn't help but laugh. At least Asher's tracking though, "They sleep outside? What if there are bears?"

Then came the questions about why they are refugees. How do you explain war to preschoolers?  Plus, I can't pretend I understand all the politics of this situation.

I tell them that people are fighting about who is in charge. I mean, these kids don't even understand what a country is, much less politics, vengeance, mortality.  I tell them that some people are Christians, like us, and other people don't like that. Or they don't like them for another reason--like where they're from.  The people hurting them don't know about the good and loving God that we know. I say, "They think that God is mean and doesn't want everyone to live together."

Asher says, "I didn't know there was a mean God and a nice God!"

Backpedal. Backpedal.

"There's not, buddy. There's only one God, who is kind. But they don't know him."

I try to get back to the easier questions. I say that some people have had their houses taken from them, and they have no place to live and they don't have jobs and can't go to school and sometimes are hungry because they don't have much food. And Zimrie, again so earnest, says, "And some people don't even share their Batman toys with us!"

Yes. Precisely.

So we watch the video and I point out that some people have sent money for them to have food to eat. Asher says, "Can I send some of my money from my piggy bank?" And my heart melts.

I tell him that lots of people from other countries are trying to help, and they send blankets and shoes and socks and toothbrushes and diapers for babies. They even send tents and backpacks and pencils and paper so kids can keep learning. I tell him some kids have never even gone to school, they are his age and they don't know their ABC's.  I say, "There's a list of things we can buy and send. We could make a package."

"I want to make a package! Let's make a package!" He cries.

And then he pauses and looks at me and says, "I want to go to this country with these people."

Again my heart melts. I picture him growing up and becoming a missionary.

"What would you do with these people?" I ask him. Thinking he'll say he would share his food or toys or blanket...

 "I WILL FIGHT THEM!" He says.

"You want to fight them?!"

"Yes! I will get those bad guys! I am a good fighter. I'm even better than Zim and Dad. One day when Dad is off work can we go to this country and I'll get all the bad guys and those people can go back to their houses?"

I appreciate his cry for justice. But he is, after all, the son of a pacifist. :) I talk about how we want the bad guys to stop, and we should try to stop them, but we don't want to kill them. (Does anyone else feel overwhelmed explaining justice and compassion and a complete theodicy to their children?! Aah! Lord, help me.)

Ash is quiet, and Zim looks at me with notable thoughtfulness. "What do you think, bucko? Should we send a package to help these people?"

Zim, lifts his eyes and says, "Mom, where do superheroes live?"


Do we make a difference? Do my meager explanations make an impact on my children? Will my tiny box of Dollar Tree goods find its way into the hands of someone in need? Will it help?

We have to believe that it does.

It does. It does. It does.

(Harvest people--what do you think? Could we make this a church-wide thing? Collect donations, box them up, ship them? Kids and youth and adults--everyone could help. The things they need are easily attainable. Thoughts?)



Comments

  1. Yes, it's hard balancing filtering the horrors of the world and giving the kids enough vision for the reality of evil. After all, I don't want them so sheltered they have no concept of others' and their plight. I want them to recognize so they are motivated toward compassion, not selfishness. And yes, their answers for solving these major problems are endearing and heartening. After all, they answer the call "immediately," much like when Jesus asked his disciples to "follow me" and they did. Kids too don't weigh the cost; they just want to do something and they do it. Maddie is much like Asher, constantly bringing me money from her piggy bank for someone or something (the gift of giving/service). Sometimes it feels like they aren't listening, but they do. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it is hard to balance. I don't want them to worry, after all. Asher keeps having very unrealistic ideas to help. It's so sweet. And I for sure don't want to discourage him by explaining his naivety, but want to foster his full commitment to compassion and action. Also a hard balance.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts