Prayer



In thinking about prayer, I realize that I have always considered prayer to be elusive.

That's not to say that I haven't prayed or don't pray or won't continue to pray. I just usually feel like I pray behind a veil. Like there are words that are out of my reach, and if only I could grasp them then I could embody my true thoughts, my feelings, my raw intent.

Words fail me.

As they should.


I am grateful to have learned of other prayers--meditations where you imagine a person enfolded in the love of God. Literally picturing Jesus hugging him or her. I also tend to picture a person (and all their needs) in a nest under the protective, gentle wing of, "Father Hen" (to quote Johnny Cash).



But one prayer that does always give me words is this:

"Yes, Father. Yes, and always yes."

A simple prayer from St. Francis of Sales. A way of aligning our will with God's. When I don't know what it is I should pray for, or what I should ask, or even where to begin, I return to this prayer.

This week I'm praying that prayer and singing this song.

Sweet Comfort by Sandra McCracken

Whatever my God ordains is right 
His holy will abides I will be still whatever he does And follow where he guides 

Chorus Sweet comfort, sweet comfort Yet shall fill my heart Sweet comfort, sweet comfort Sorrow shall depart 


Whatever my God ordains is right He makes my feet to stand Though sorrow, need, or death be mine He holds me in his hand (Chorus) 


This bitter cup, I take it My fainting heart restored So here I stand, unshaken I trust upon the Lord (Chorus) 


He is my God though dark my road He holds me, I shall not fall Whatever my God ordains as right To him I leave it all. (Chorus) 



Comments

Popular Posts